Usually when we start feeling initial signs a cold, the first thing that comes to our minds is how to get rid of a sore throat, preferably, fast and efficiently. This is, probably, one of the most frequently asked questions sick people are concerned about. No wonder, inflamed tissue of our throat causes many inconveniences from swelling and a scratchy feeling to unpleasant sensations when swallowing or even talking. This acute inflammation occurs in the lower pharynx, sometimes affecting tonsils and the soft palate. Therefore, first of all, eliminating the signs of a sore throat we need to take measures locally using gargles, throat sprays, throat lozenges, consider food and beverages we consume and take care of the whole body. Sufficient rest and sleep is what you need to let your organism trigger its natural protective powers to overcome the ailment.
How to get rid of a sore throat?
1. An effective way of sore throat treating is gargles. They clear your throat off mucus, reduce swelling, eliminate bacteria and decrease irritation. Those you can make easily and quickly at home to get rid of a sore throat are:
- 1 teaspoon of salt for eight ounces of lukewarm water;
- 1 teaspoon to 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar for a glass of water (acidity eradicates the bacteria but is harmful for your teeth enamel, so, rinse your mouth with water afterwards);
- juice of one lemon and 1 teaspoon of salt added to one cup of warm water;
- 5 shakes of Cayenne Pepper for a cup of hot water (can be substituted by white pepper, chili peppers or hot paprika);
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda for a glass of warm water;
- herbal gargles: 2 teaspoons of dried Marshmallow root or Slippery elm bark for two cups of water simmered gently for 15 minutes and strained.
2. Besides gargles, special curative beverages and teas also bring quick sore throat relief. The best results are achieved when you drink them every few hours. Here are short instructions on how to prepare them:
- 2 teaspoons of dried chamomile blossoms steeped for a pint of hot water;
- 30 drops of Echinacea for one cup of warm water, stirred;
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, juice of 1/4 lemon, and 1 teaspoon of honey and a pinch of cayenne pepper added to a cup of hot water, stirred;
- 1 teaspoon of dried peppermint leaves for a cup of boiling water steeped for 10 minutes;
- 5 g of licorice root boiled in 8 oz. of water.
Other ways of getting rid of a sore throat?
5. Having a sore throat and feeling not the best way, you still need to eat properly to provide your body with sufficient nourishment to overcome your condition. Opt for soft food like creamy soups, chicken soups, mashed potatoes, cereals. Drink a lot of water and warm beverages with honey to provide sufficient hydration and soothe your irritated throat.
6. Sometimes pain in the throat is an allergic reaction. In this case you need to determine and eliminate the allergen and take your allergy medication.
Start taking measures as soon as you feel the first signs of a sore throat, and you will avoid unnecessary aggravation of your condition. To sum up, in most cases it’s not so difficult to get rid of a sore throat quickly if you provide yourself with proper attention following these working tips.